twelves spices thai & lao cuisine, canley heights

Last night, my family decided to have dinner at Twelve Spices Thai and Lao in Canley Heights so that they could try Thai food for the first time. You know the food has to be good if there's a huge line outside the restaurant and the wait takes over an hour. Luckily we made reservations and didn't have to wait long at all.

twelve spices thai & lao cuisine:
It's a relatively small looking restaurant hidden in between a small strip of small businesses in Canley Heights. You won't miss it at night since it is the only store open with a sizable crowd.

prawn pad thai (16.90)
Pad thai is a sweet and slightly stir fry of thin flat rice noodles with tamarind sauce, eggs, garlic chives, bean sprouts and peanuts. I can't have Thai without ordering at least one noodle dish.

duck green curry ($15.90):
The green curry is a slightly sweet curry made with green cury paste of galangal, kaffir limes, garlic, lemongrass and long green chillies. Tender duck pieces and aromatic paste are cooked in coconut milk with eggplants and green beans before being finished off with sliced kaffir leaves and Thai basil. The curry wasn't too runny or too thick and they were definitely more generous with the duck than other Thai restaurants in the area.

crispy quail ($10.90):


Six pieces of deep fried marinated quail served with salt, pepper and lemon sauce. This is my most favourite way of eating quail and it is a must order dish for me and my friends whenever we do come here. The peppery lemon dip makes the quail feel light and refreshing. It's super crispy on the outside - as it should be - and extremely tender on the inside.

crispy chilli basil crocodile ($19.90):
Crispy fried crocodile meat is deep fried and served in a special chilli basil sauce. This was my first time trying crocodile meat and I was kind of disappointed. The flavours were great with a strong chilli kick but I thought the batter to crocodile meat ratio wasn't balanced. It was crisp but crisp to the point where it overpowered the flavour of the crocodile.

ox tongue ($10.90)
Grilled marinated ox tongued are sliced and served with Nam Jim sauce. This was a ht with my parents. The nam jim sauce was a perfect accompaniment to the ox tongue. However, personally I would have preferred the pieces of ox tongue to be less chewier and more thinly sliced.

black sesame fried ice cream ($12.90):

Black sesame fried ice cream served with coconut sauce. The name of this dish speaks for itself! Black sesame ice cream (or any ice cream) + deep fried = heaven.

Twelve Spices is a restaurant that I always to come back to. It's close by, the staff are always really friendly and the food is consistently good. If you ever want to come here, definitely make a booking - especially on Thursday, Friday or Saturday nights - otherwise you might find yourself waiting over an hour for a table. Also if you're intro fruit shakes, definitely try them out here - you can even mix up the fruit combinations and customise your own. I think it's definitely up there with other Thai eateries like Holy Basil and Green Peppercorn.

Twelve Spices Thai & Lao Cuisine
197 St John Rd
Canley Heights, NSW 2166
f: https://www.facebook.com/twelvespices
t: (02) 9609 6212
w: http://twelvespices.tumblr.com/

Twelve Spices Lao & Thai Cusine on Urbanspoon

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Instagram Photostream

Twitter Updates



Meet The Author

 photo lel_zpscf55f250.jpg

Hi there! My name is Anna. I'm nineteen, in my second year of uni (UNSW) and born in Sydney. This blog is about my gastronomic adventures in Australia and abroad. It all started when I got new camera (Samsung Ex1) and since then, I've been mainly taking photos of food. So, I decided to document everything on this blog.

I'm still learning to take nice pictures - my camera isn't exactly the greatest but it works.

Oh, and I think we should get this out of the way (just in case you decide to unfriend me) I'm not a fan of chocolate or coffee. (Yes you saw right).

Anyway, enough about me - thanks for stopping by and I hope you enjoy!

Google+