mais con yelo

The other day I was walking around uni craving for some froyo or something else cold and sweet like ice cream or taro milk tea but I had spent about $200 on textbooks and my wallet was pretty much empty. When I got home, KBSWorld had uploaded a new episode of Happy Together - the HotSechGodRG Special - and in that episode, Danny Ahn's corn bingsoo dish was the latest addition to the Late Night Kiosk menu.



It said that the 'corn bingsoo' is actually a popular dessert from the Phillipines called mais con yelo which just means corn on shaved ice. Who would have thought sweet corn kernels, shaved ice, milk and ice cream or sugar would have been a good treat to the heat of summer?

ingredients:
The version created by Danny, only requires 3 main ingredients. You can add toppings of your own like sago, ice cream, corn flakes, oats, etc. But the core of the dish is made by using only corn kernels, condensed milk and milk. Sweet corn kernels are ideal but normal corn is alright too.



recipe: mais con yelo by 데니안
what you'll need:

  • 1/4 cup sweet corn kernels,cooked
  • 125 - 200mL frozen milk
  • condensed milk
  • what to do: 
    1. Pour some milk into a container and freeze it for at least 4 hours.
    2. Using a fork, dig at the frozen milk so that it forms "shaved ice" or a sort of sherbet-like texture and place it into a dessert cup.
    3. Cover the top with a layer of corn kernels.
    4. Pour condensed milk over the corn. More if you want it to be sweeter, less if you don't want it to be too sweet.
    5. Mix and eat!
    Kind of reminds me of red bean. Maybe I should try substituting corn kernels with red bean. The corn kernels are some what savoury and when mixed with sweet creamy condensed milk, it's actually pretty nice. And I'm definitely going to make this again when it's summer!




    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

     

    Instagram Photostream

    Twitter Updates



    Meet The Author

     photo lel_zpscf55f250.jpg

    Hi there! My name is Anna. I'm nineteen, in my second year of uni (UNSW) and born in Sydney. This blog is about my gastronomic adventures in Australia and abroad. It all started when I got new camera (Samsung Ex1) and since then, I've been mainly taking photos of food. So, I decided to document everything on this blog.

    I'm still learning to take nice pictures - my camera isn't exactly the greatest but it works.

    Oh, and I think we should get this out of the way (just in case you decide to unfriend me) I'm not a fan of chocolate or coffee. (Yes you saw right).

    Anyway, enough about me - thanks for stopping by and I hope you enjoy!

    Google+