bread cheese sticks

I love deep fried mozzarella sticks. Gooey, deep - fried and oozing cheese with every bite. These sticks are similar to those deep fried mozzarella cheese sticks but you don't have to deep fry them! (it's healthier). They're so simple to make and you don't need flour, or a tonne of other ingredients to make the crispy outer layer. Cheese, bread, egg and breadcrumbs are pretty much all the ingredients you really need. They turn crispy and golden, with far less fat.

In a blender, I blended the crusts I cut off and 1 slice of bread. It was more than enough to completely coat 5 bread sticks. I also added a pinch of garlic salt, some ground black pepper and a handful of parsley. Normal salt is fine too.

Using a rolling pin, I flattened the bread, making sure the edges are super flat so that when you press on it later, the cylindrical shape stays. Using a spoon, I also spread some of the egg mixture on the bread. Lay strips of cheese one end.

Simply roll the bread up and press down so the bread doesn't unfold.

Dip the whole bread roll into the egg mixture and then coat it with bread crumbs. Place it on a baking tray with aluminium foil and bake for about 15 minutes.

recipe: bread cheese sticks 
what you'll need: 

  • 1 egg, 
  • breadcrumbs
  • 5 slices of bread
  • 2-3 slices of cheese
  • very finely chopped or blended parsley (optional)
  • garlic salt and pepper (optional)
  • what to do:
    1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees and prepare a baking tray lined with foil.
    2. Crack an egg into a bowl and beat with a fork. In a separate bowl, pour a large handful of bread crumbs. You can add salt, pepper, and parsley to the breadcrumbs. 
    3. Cut the slices of cheese into thin strips. 
    4. Remove crusts from the slices of bread and flatten with a rolling pin.
    5. Using a small spatula or spoon, spread some of the egg mixture on one side of the bread.
    6. On the same side, place a few strips of cheese on one end.
    7. Roll the bread up (like sushi!), continually pressing down so it's tight and stays in shape. 
    8. Dunk the bread roll in the mixture and then in the breadcrumb mixture. Make sure it is fully coated and place it on the baking tray.
    9. Continue doing this for the rest of the bread and cheese. 
    10. Place the bread sticks in the oven for about 7 - 9 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
    11. Then flip the bread sticks over so the other side can turn crispy. 
    12. Bake for another 7 - 9 minutes. 
    13. Serve while hot! 
    You don't have to flip them if you can't be bothered and just bake them for about 15 minutes. But I found that the underside of my first batch were not crispy
    The outside is golden and super crispy. I love breaking the bread sticks in the middle just so I can see the gooey and melted cheese string apart.

    You can also serve the bread cheese sticks with salsa but make sure it's warm!

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

     

    Instagram Photostream

    Twitter Updates



    Meet The Author

     photo lel_zpscf55f250.jpg

    Hi there! My name is Anna. I'm nineteen, in my second year of uni (UNSW) and born in Sydney. This blog is about my gastronomic adventures in Australia and abroad. It all started when I got new camera (Samsung Ex1) and since then, I've been mainly taking photos of food. So, I decided to document everything on this blog.

    I'm still learning to take nice pictures - my camera isn't exactly the greatest but it works.

    Oh, and I think we should get this out of the way (just in case you decide to unfriend me) I'm not a fan of chocolate or coffee. (Yes you saw right).

    Anyway, enough about me - thanks for stopping by and I hope you enjoy!

    Google+