baked egg and cheese toast

A while ago on the 275th episode of Happy Together, Lee Bo Young's "independence" toast made it onto the menu! It's super easy to make, and it's perfect as a quick snack or for a lazy breakfast with a cup of milk or coffee.

It's pretty much an egg in a basket or toad in the hole toast only with mayonnaise and ham or bacon, which you can replace with pepperoni or salami - whatever you have lying around the house is fine.

spread mayonnaise and sprinkle sugar on one side of a piece of bread:
place a slice of cheese on the mayonnaise:
I used a slice of cheddar cheese! You can add more if you like cheese but it's mainly there to old the two pieces of bread together.

on the second piece of bread, cut a hole in the middle:
If you plan to make a heart like mine, I would recommend a bigger cookie cutter or smaller egg, other wise the egg overflows and the heart shape disappears. You can cut a heart shape for your partner on valentines day!

place the second piece of bread on top of the piece with cheese and mayonnaise:
squeeze mayonnaise on the border of the top piece of bread and place ham on each corner:

For the mayonnaise, I recommend using mayonnaise with thicker consistency like Japanese mayonnaise. It stays in shape when baked. I used a very runny brand of mayonnaise and some of it went onto the egg while it was in the oven.


recipe: baked egg and cheese toast by 이보영
What you'll need:


  • 2 slices of bread
  • 1 slice of cheese
  • 1 egg
  • a little ham
  • mayonnaise
  • a pinch of salt, sugar and pepper (all optional)
  • parsley, finely chopped
  • What to do:
    1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
    2. Spread a thin layer of mayonnaise on one side of a piece of bread. 
    3. Sprinkle a tiny bit of sugar over the mayonnaise (optional).
    4. Place a slice of cheese over the mayonnaise.
    5. Cut a 'hole' using a cookie cutter or the edge of a lid or wine glass in the other slice of bread. (The piece with no mayonnaise). 
    6. Place that slice of bread with a 'hole' on top of the slice with cheese and mayonnaise on it. 
    7. Squeeze mayonnaise around the border of top slice of bread. 
    8. Cut 4 small pieces of ham and place a piece on each corner.
    9. Crack an egg into the 'hole'
    10. Sprinkle a bit of salt onto the egg and place in the oven
    11. Bake for 10 - 15 minutes or until the mayonnaise turns golden brown and the egg is cooked to your liking.
    12. Sprinkle of parsley and sprinkle some pepper onto the egg.
    13. Serve hot with coffee or milk.

    With the rest of the ham, if you wanted to, you could cut it into slices and spread it evenly under the slice of cheese.


    Loved the outcome of the baked toast. But I would use less mayonnaise next time because it was pretty sweet. The melted cheese and soft egg was just the best.

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

     

    Instagram Photostream

    Twitter Updates



    Meet The Author

     photo lel_zpscf55f250.jpg

    Hi there! My name is Anna. I'm nineteen, in my second year of uni (UNSW) and born in Sydney. This blog is about my gastronomic adventures in Australia and abroad. It all started when I got new camera (Samsung Ex1) and since then, I've been mainly taking photos of food. So, I decided to document everything on this blog.

    I'm still learning to take nice pictures - my camera isn't exactly the greatest but it works.

    Oh, and I think we should get this out of the way (just in case you decide to unfriend me) I'm not a fan of chocolate or coffee. (Yes you saw right).

    Anyway, enough about me - thanks for stopping by and I hope you enjoy!

    Google+